Thursday, September 10, 2009

GF/CF Doesn't Equal Calorie Free

Ok, I'm back. My IC and Fibro pain had become so unbearable that it left me little energy for blogging. The pain was a little better yesterday evening and this morning, but after I got frustrated/angry with an interpersonal issue I was dealing with this afternoon, I think I literally became "pissed off" and the IC pain returned. Bummer...

After doing more research on the affects of supplements and IC (supplements can often lead to "flares"), I realized what may have caused the BB to worsen my condition (if indeed it was the BB). The aloe in BB is preserved using citric acid. Not a big deal for most people, but for people with IC, it can exacerbate symptoms. I was also taking 800 mcg of folic acid twice a day at the advice of my rheumatologist, not knowing that folic acid can also trigger symptoms. Yesterday I didn't take my morning dose of folic acid; instead, I took only one capsule with two Prelief tabs and lots of water after dinner. It seemed to help. I might even switch to taking just 400 mcg once a day to be on the safe side. The only supplement I take close to bedtime is my calcium combo, as the calcium, magnesium, and Vit D in it are supposed to help calm the body and allow for improved sleep. Just don't take it right before bed with a big glass of water unless you like waking up to pee.

One other big trigger that I cut, especially because I shouldn't have been indulging in the first place, is chocolate- in the form of Trader Joe's scrumptious GF/CF brownies. What a find! I baked them twice in the past two weeks, once when a friend visited and the second time when I was going to my "girls' night in"; although, I didn't end up bringing the brownies because they are almost impossible to cut into nice, square pieces. They look more like blobs- gooey, moist, chocolatety blobs. I doctor them up with CF chocolate chips and pecans- delish! Sorry, I'm drooling as I write this. Every day, I would come home from work, eat a chunk, and then an hour later, I would have fire shooting through my UT. They also have quite a bit of sugar in them, another no-no with regards to my "diet." However, as far as brownies go (for those of you not sensitive to chocolate), I would highly recommend them. Even if you're not eating GF/CF, they are quite tasty and don't have any of the artificial additives you'll find in other brownie mixes. But sadly, no more for me for now.

Yes, I'm learning that even if products are GF/CF, they are not "freebies." I can't eat them with abandon because all those calories will eventually add up. Trader Joe's also sells ginger snap cookies that are GF. Those don't trigger flares for me and the ginger calms my stomach; still, cookies aren't exactly health food, so I've got to cut back. They are too tempting, especially when I'm starving and don't have any other quick and easy snack choices. I've put on a couple of the pounds that I lost, and it's likely because of all the empty calories I consumed in brownies and cookies. I'll have to save those treats for an occasional indulgence.

Belly troubles are back today. Not quite sure why except that maybe all the calcium in Prelief is slowing things down too much. I didn't even finish lunch because I felt so bloated.

One last comment: Did you know that the soy based "veggie slices" of cheese, sold as a substitute for American cheese, have casein in them? Yes, they do, and I was just as shocked as you are. LOL. Seriously though, I ate a slice yesterday morning on my oat bread toast and felt "bubbly" a couple of hours later. When I got home and checked the ingredients, I saw the dreaded words, "milk protein." They are lactose-free but not dairy free. WOA: Read the ingredients list carefully if you want to get results. Little slip ups here and there will have an impact, even if you don't want to believe it. Do your homework. Your bowels will thank you for it. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment