Friday, November 20, 2009

The Waiting Game

I am waiting by my cell phone for a call I likely won't get today.  The nurse is supposed to call with the results from my Day 21 Progesterone test.  Yup, seems that my hormones are out of whack and the doctor wants to find out if I'm ovulating.  To me, this really highlights the importance of diet and health.  You see, for the first couple of months that I started eating "clean," meaning GF/CF, organic, whole foods, my reproductive system was happy.  Despite years of PCOS, my cycle finally became regular.  However, this month I have gotten sloppy with my diet.  I've been eating some gluten and dairy here and there, and my sugar intake is higher than it had been the first two months.  For women with PCOS, keeping blood sugar levels stable and within a healthy range is crucial for regulating cycles and reproduction.  Even for those, like me, who are not diabetic, eating low glycemic foods and staying fit help ensure that the reproductive system is working the way it should be.  Since I've been charting my basal body temperature, I can pretty much know with certainty when I've ovulated and if my cycle is looking ok.  This month, after a month of not strictly following my diet, it looks like I'm back to wacky cycles.  Here's the thing that really sucks.  It seems that each time my body gears up to ovulate, I get horrible IC pain.  It doesn't matter what homeopathic remedy I'm on- I'm in excruciating pain.  If my body is trying really hard to ovulate...and keeps trying and trying and trying, then I get to feel that lovely pain multiple times during my cycle.  That's what happened the past couple of weeks.  Not to mention that I can't conceive if I don't ovulate.  My last few attempts have not been successful, so I'm eager to find out what is preventing it from happening.  My doctor thinks I haven't been ovulating, which is why he ordered the blood work.  It's now past 5 pm and the office is closed, so I guess I'll have to wait until Monday.  Bummer.

PS  This post is really from last week but I forgot to publish it....

No comments:

Post a Comment